Saturday 6 April 2013

Evaluation- In what way does your media product challenge forms and conventions of real magazine products?

For my magazine i was aiming for my magazine to have features that grabbed the audiences attention. So by doing this i made my title bold but a plain colour.The title is called 'LISTEN UP!' this title comes across to the audience as an order so therefore people will want to read inside. In the research i did the titles are all one word, i did not want to do this because i wanted magazine to be original and unique. The main image of the model was going to be placed right in the centre of the page and was going to take up all of the page, but i left room above the head to place my masterhead, this is were most titles are on music magazines.

LISTEN UP! is the master head for my music magazine, i did not want my title to be colourful but i did want it to stand out and also to be noticeable. Whereas when doing my research i found a similuar masterhead to the one i wanted. Notorius is a masterhead for a music magazine and the style still screams out to the audeience even though there is no colour. I wanted my masterhead to reflect on the genre i am wanting to create and by doing that i should think about the style of music i am wanting to base the music magazine around. Also want my target audience to be related within the magazine. I did not want to add colour into the masterhead as i thought that the black outline was still very demanding from the background which was the brick wall.
Mise en scene
With my magazine not being well known then therefore i need to concentrate on what the magazine is going to look like and how it is going to attract and appeal to my audience. The model i used for my magazine was an ordinary boy that was posing on a plain brick wall background. I wanted him to wear casual but smart clothing such as a new york jumper and jeans, this makes the magazine look relaxed and aimed at my audience to whati think they typically wear. I wanted him to wear clothes that stood out on the plain, dark wall, and he did this because of the cream jumper he wore. He is stood casual and the pose of him looking away is a typical conventions of the music magazine but i like this as i want my magazine to be original and unique. I want my magazine to be different so that it stands out from other competitors which are aiming the same goals as me. The lighting of the image is quite dark but this makes the quality of the image a lot better as it makes the model stand out more, this is what i am aiming for as he is one of the main features of the cover. The colour of models skins while looking at other magazines is quite bright and this leads to me that this is a typical convention and so as a result i am wanting my magazine to be different. By doing this i choose a model with different skin, the model i chose had freckles which made this more unique and different to other magazines.  The cover lines need to stand out as they are another main feature of a magazine especially if there is a lot going on in the background which could take the attention of the cover lines to be taken away. So i made them a bright orange which made them stand out and catch the audiences attention.
This is the image i used for my main picture on my double page spread. The mise en scene is bright, and catches the eyes of the audience, it can also come across to be like old fashioned. The close up shot also makes the image stand out more than it would if it was an ordianry long shot. The close up shot also allows the audience to see the expression on the models face which this in result of that gives the page character. The second image was also on my contents page and also on my double page spread. I asked him to wear dark clothes as this goes with the dark effect of the image which was taken. The bright white writing on the jumper stand outs within the darkness so this is another effect i liked. The bright circle also gives the image the light of hope feeling, and this is effective as the article in the double page spread is about his difficulties in life at the moment, so therefore there will be light for hope. Both images do not have an over busy background as they are plain and simple. The result of the background being plain is that it makes the model, the main feature of the image stand out more. A plain background could also mean that they just live a normal, ordinary life, so i made this across by taking a picture in their day to day enviroment.
This images of the woman having a picture in the dark is where i got the idea from, i found that even though the picture was in the dark it still made the page and image stand out from the reflection of the skin. IN addition to this i can therefore see that the image is a convention of a real media product so i am pleased with the turn out.
Models and people i used
For my magazine to be successful and to attract people to read it then i need to make sure that i use the right type of people that reprsent the genre of my magazine. The models i used for my magazine were ideal as i thought they played their roles really well, and this then made my magazine fit in well with the specific genre i was wanting. The person i used for the images where the simular age of the target audience i am wanting. I had used 3 models they all had different purposes to meet the purpose of my magazine. The model i had used on my cover page had a purpose for attracting the audience to read the magaizne, whereas the other two didnt have much of a role like the main person. The other two in the same picture had a role of creating personality to the magazine, representing teenagers in the modern centry.

No comments:

Post a Comment